Are you suffering from overwhelm? Read on….
Busy busy busy….
I was settings records in busy-ness.
Until one day when I alarm went off at 7.00am and I couldn’t move.
It felt like I was pinned to the bed. Not even the thought of freshly ground coffee could stir me from the crushing fatigue that was all-consuming.
What on earth was wrong? Was I sick? Had I not slept at all?
My body felt like I was in shut down mode. All vital signs were there but my brain just didn’t want to play ball.
I felt OVERWHELMED.
Let me explain a little more…..
I was trying to run two businesses at the same time. One of them – an ice cream business was in peak season and we were rammed with orders. Everyone wanted it NOW.
Whilst this is a lovely financial ‘problem’ to have I had committed the worst failure any entrepreneur could choose – I was working in my business and not on it.
I was first in and last to leave. I was effectively working for less than minimum wage and refusing to delegate anything.
My ego had enjoyed it up to this point
I was in total OVERWHELM.
My 5 overwhelm triggers:
- I had become a ‘yes’ person, to everything.
- I didn’t know how to outsource or delegate.
- I wanted to hold all the secrets, the recipes, the knowledge.
- I had a scattergun approach – firing off in all directions with no clear plan.
- I succumbed to ‘shoulds’ instead of ‘wants’
Something had to change.
It took me a while to reach the point I am at now, with a few more lessons along the way (more blog posts!) but I really do feel overjoyed 80% of the time now.
These are my new joy rules for YOU to try out and escape overwhelm:
- Unless it fills me with absolute joy I say “NO” – This includes meeting up with people, activities, TV, household chores, work opportunities.
- I outsource tasks that take me away from joy or take up huge chunks of time – cleaning my home, ironing, bookkeeping, stock checks and other repetitive work tasks.
- Teach others your secrets, let them share the magic – if you let others have responsibility it makes them feel good and you are teaching someone a new craft and/or skill.
- Think LASERBEAM – take one goal in your day and don’t stop until you have done it. Nuture it, polish it and then sit back and be proud of it. It will be your best work.
- Guilt is not your friend – Life is too short to let guilt into your life. It doesn’t feel good in your body OR mind. Life purposely, with strong ethics and be authentic to your work, your family and your spouse. It rocks.
Do you live with joy? I would love to hear your tips to add to my list. Going from overwhelmed to overjoyed changes everything.